What are Invisalign® clear aligners?
Invisalign® clear aligners are comfortable, removable, and invisible—no one can tell you’re wearing them! They’re made using 3D computer imaging technology, and have been proven effective.
The Invisalign® process straightens teeth by using a system of clear, removable aligner trays. Each custom-made aligner fits over your teeth, and helps gradually guide the teeth into their optimal position. While this option is effective for many orthodontic patients, we don’t recommend it for everyone. The details of your case will help us to determine if clear aligners are right for you.
Why you’ll love Invisalign®
Invisalign® aligners are made of a medical-grade polyurethane resin that has been tested and determined to be highly biocompatible. It is free of BPA and phthalates. The FDA granted clearance to Align Technology, the maker of Invisalign® devices, to market and sell them in 1998.
- The aligners are clear and nearly impossible to see, so you can smile with confidence during your treatment!
- Invisalign is less likely than traditional metal braces to irritate your gums and cheeks.
- Without metal or wires, you can expect to spend less time in our office for adjustments.
- The aligners are removable and easy to keep clean.
- You’ll be able to floss and brush as usual to maintain a healthy mouth.
- Without metal or wires, you can also eat and drink what you want during your Invisalign® treatment!
How does the Invisalign® process work?
At the beginning of your treatment process, we’ll show you a virtual view of your treatment plan, so you can see how your straight teeth will look at the end of your treatment process. Similar to braces, clear aligners control tooth movement through gradual force applied over time. The aligners are made from a strong plastic and fabricated to fit your mouth. Because the shape of each successive aligner differs slightly from the one before it, your teeth will move a little more each time you switch to a new aligner.
You can expect to wear each set of Invisalign® clear aligners for approximately 20 hours each day for about two weeks before switching aligners. You’ll remove them only to eat, floss, and brush. As you advance through the series of aligners, your teeth will shift gradually until they have reached the optimal position we have prescribed. We’ll schedule office visits with you every six weeks or so, to ensure that your treatment is progressing according to plan. Treatment timeframes frequently average 9-15 months, but this will vary from case to case.